Ľubietová became municipality in the year 1379. Gold, copper and mineral called "libenit", after the name of the village, were mined in the surroundings . The Evangelical church dating from 1807, the Roman Catholic, originally Gothic church of St. Mary with a Rococco-Classicist altar dating from 1783. Burgher´ s house from the 13th century and folk pottery belong to the main attracions in the lower Poľana region.
The Ľubietovský Vepor Hill, geological centre of Slovakia and the dominant feature of the surrounding landscape, has three peaks. Its range is some 3 kilometres long. The hill has been designated a protected area.